Spaghetti alla Carbonara is a traditional Roman dish made with fresh egg yolks, aged cheese (pecorino romano), guanciale (cured pork cheek), and black pepper. The pasta is tossed in the egg mixture while hot and stirred quickly, transforming the eggs into a rich creamy sauce without scrambling them. It is best eaten immediately after cooking.
We have put together a kit and instructions below to make your own Spaghetti Carbonara at home.
Get your Spaghetti Carbonara kit here
Here's what the kit includes:
+ 1 500 g box Monograno Felicetti organic spaghetti
+ egg yolks
+ smoked pancetta (we use this as a substitute for guanciale)
+ grated pecorino romano
Here's what kitchen equipment you will need:
+ large mixing bowl
+ large skillet
+ large pot
You will also need your own salt and pepper.
- Fill the large pot with water, salt the water generously and bring to a boil
- Once the water is boiling, add the pasta and cook for the recommended amount of time.
- While the pasta is cooking, pre-heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the pancetta to the pan and cook until it is browned and beginning to crisp. Do not drain the rendered fat.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg yolks, grated cheese (reserve enough to top the pasta if you wish), and a few pinches of salt and black pepper.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain the pasta and reserve at least a cup of pasta water. The starchy cooking water is essential to making the sauce.
- Add the pasta to the pan with the pancetta and rendered fat, adding about 1/4 cup pasta water.
- Using the tongs, toss the pasta with the pancetta and fat making sure it’s well coated.
- Pour the contents of the skillet into the large mixing bowl with the egg yolk and cheese.
- Toss the pasta and ensure it is well coated with the sauce. Add reserved pasta water to improve consistency. Resulting texture should be glossy and creamy, with the egg mixture coating the pasta evenly
- Divide the pasta onto plates and top with any remaining grated cheese and black pepper to taste.
- Carbonara is best enjoyed when served immediately!