We love eating pasta all year long.... and summer pasta features some pretty inspiring ingredients!
Here's a super simple recipe from our kitchen using salt-cured sardines (the traditional and most effective means of preserving sardines) and our wonderful Agricola Paglione organic tomatoes.
Not sure about your chef abilities? Don't worry, we will make this dish for you in our kitchen! Come see us August 15th to 18th when you can order this pasta special off the menu and take home the ingredients for one special price.
250 grams Campofilone egg pasta
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 lemon, juiced
200 grams sardines, deboned and fileted (see note*)
300 grams Agricola Paglione tomato puree
Parsley, coarsely chopped
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add olive oil.
- Cook the onions in the skillet until softened, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook until al dente. Reserve ¼ cup pasta water after draining
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes to the onions and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and sardines to the skillet and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the pasta and ¼ cup reserved pasta water to the tomato sauce.
- Stir the pasta gently to coat it with sauce.
- Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide onto four plates and garnish with chopped parsley.
* Tips for deboning and cleaning sardines like a pro:
- Open the can and pour out the liquid. Place the sardines in a colander and rinse several times with cold water.
- Find the opening in the belly of the sardine and gently pull on the sides to open it.
- Run your thumbs down both sides of the spine to gently pull the filets away from the spine.
- Pinch the spine in the middle and pull down toward the tail to remove the spine.
- Rinse the filets again before cooking.