Cacio e Pepe needs only 3 ingredients but is full of flavor and one of the best comfort foods around. This dish hails from Rome and relies on the starchy water the pasta was cooked in to make a silky, cheese sauce. All you need is spaghetti, grated cheese (we use a blend of parmigiano reggiano and pecorino romano), and black pepper. If you are looking for a quick meal, look no further, cacio e pepe can be made in about 15 minutes!
We have put together the ingredients for you to make enough cacio e pepe to feed 4 people.
Get your ingredients here.
Here's what you will get:
+ Fresh grated Italian cheese (parmigiano reggiano and pecorino romano)
Here's what you will need:
+ black pepper
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
2. Cook the pasta for the amount of time specified on the package.
3. When the pasta has a few minutes of cooking remaining, heat a large skillet over medium heat and carefully toast the black pepper just until it is fragrant and then take the pan off the heat. Traditionally the pepper is toasted in a dry pan but I like to add a few tablespoons of butter to the hot pan when toasting the pepper to add an extra layer of flavor.
4. When your pasta is al dente, start transferring the pasta into the pan with the toasted pepper. You can just use tongs to transfer the pasta rather than draining it because you will need your starchy water to make the sauce.
5. Add the grated cheese and 1/2 pasta water and start stirring quickly with tongs.
6. Add more pasta water if necessary and continue stirring until all the cheese is melted and the pasta is well coated in sauce.
7. Serve immediately and enjoy! Garnish your pasta with more grated cheese and fresh ground black pepper.