As we move into summer and the weather warms up, we are looking forward to cooking lighter, vegetable based pasta dishes. This baked rigatoni has fresh yellow squash, zucchini, eggplant and tomatoes, a great source of vitamin C, vitamin A, and folate. These delicious summer vegetables also provide you with fiber. The rigatoni comes from Pastificio Di Martino in the well known pasta making region Gragnano. This artisanal pasta is made with high quality Italian durum wheat and contains 8g of protein per serving!
I sauteed the eggplant in our flavorful Galantino extra virgin olive oil until it became very soft and becomes almost sauce like. Eggplant is great for absorbing the flavors of the olive oil and the onions and garlic cooked with it. I roasted the squash and zucchini to give it some extra flavor and used fresh tomatoes from the Farmer's Market to add a pop of color. I added Agricola Paglione pitted black olives which have the perfect amount of briny flavor and complement the mild flavored summer vegetables. Creamy fontina cheese is the finishing touch to this veggie packed pasta.
This delicious pasta is just one of our ready to bake pasta options designed to feed you and your family nutritious healthy food when you need a break from cooking.
If you want to make this pasta at home, here's the recipe
1/2 large eggplant
3 oz olive oil
1/2 yellow squash
3 cloves garlic
1 roma tomato
1/3 cup pitted black olives
5 oz fontina cheese (about 1 cup), shredded
250 g Di Martino Rigatoni
1. Prep your vegetables: Dice the eggplant and onion. Mince the garlic. Slice the squash and zucchini in half moon slices about 1/4 in thick. Roughly chop the tomato. Coat your squash and zucchini with 1 oz of olive oil, season with salt and pepper and place on a sheet tray. Roast them at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until they are softened and lightly browned. Allow the vegetables to cool and turn your oven down to 350 degrees.
2. Cook the rigatoni in boiling salted water for 8 minutes. Cool after cooking.
3. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add the olive oil to the pan.
4. Add the eggplant and onions and stir to coat in olive oil. Saute for about 15 minutes until the eggplant is very soft. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant. Remove from heat.
6. In a large bowl, combine the pasta, roasted squash and zucchini, eggplant mixture, tomatoes, olives and most of the fontina. Mix well and season to taste with salt and pepper.
7. Pour the pasta into a small baking dish. Top with the remaining cheese. Place aluminum foil over the top of the baking dish and bake for 15-20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 5 minutes to brown the cheese on top.
8. Serve immediately and enjoy!